Spay and Neuter Statistics
It is hard to imagine that in a developed country like the United States that we suffer from an animal overpopulation problem of epidemic proportions. While most pet owners have fixed their animals, it only takes a productive minority to send millions of animals to shelters every year. Based on the statistics below, you see that supporting the spay or neuter of even one animal can make a big impact.
- There are 86.4 million owned cats in the U.S.
- 87 percent of cat owners report that their cats are spayed or neutered
- 19 percent of owned cats have had a litter; 59 percent of those were unintentional
- 2 percent of all free-roaming feral cats are altered
- One female cat and her offspring can produce 17 more in 6 months.
- There are 78 million owned dogs in the U.S.
- 76 percent of dog owners report that their dogs are spayed or neutered
- 13 percent of all owned dogs have had a litter; 38 percent of those were unintentional
- One female dog can produce 10-12 puppies in one litter.